Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

Bipartisan STEM Education Act Clears House and Senate

Oct 1, 2015 
Press Release

Washington, D.C. - The House of Representatives today unanimously passed the Senate 

amendment to the STEM Education Act (H.R. 1020), a bipartisan bill introduced by Science, 

Space, and Technology Committee Lamar Smith (R-Texas) and Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D-Conn.). 

The bill strengthens ongoing science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education efforts 

at federal science agencies and ensures computer science is included in these efforts as a subject 

that builds on the traditional STEM subjects. The bill now heads to the president’s desk for signature 

and enactment.

Chairman Smith: “A well-educated and trained STEM workforce ensures our future economic 

prosperity. This means motivating more American students to study science and engineering so 

hey will want to pursue these careers. A healthy STEM workforce that is literate in all STEM subjects, 

including computer science, is critical to America’s ability to create jobs and compete in the world.

I thank my colleague Rep. Esty for working with me on this important bipartisan legislation that will 

help prepare our students to thrive in a technology-based economy.”

Rep. Esty: “More and more jobs of the 21st century require science, technology, engineering, 

and math skills. Final passage of the bipartisan STEM Education Act demonstrates that we can com

e together to help our children thrive and to help ensure that they can be competitive in a global 

economy. I hear from manufacturers, high-tech companies, and small businesses across all sectors 

that struggle to find workers with the necessary technical and critical problem-solving skills to fill jobs

in demand. I am grateful to my colleagues in the House and Senate for their support, and I look for

ward to this bill reaching the President’s desk and becoming law.”

Summary of Major Provisions in the STEM Education Act of 2015:

Expands existing federal grants and programs related to STEM education to 
include computer science education.
Supports competitive merit-reviewed grants for informal STEM education, 
which is learning outside of the classroom at places like museums, science centers, 
and afterschool programs.
Amends the National Science Foundation Noyce Master Teaching Fellowship program 
to allow teachers in pursuit of a master’s degree to apply for the grant and explicitly include 
computer science teachers. 
The STEM Education Act would allow more teachers the opportunity to compete for 
the grant, better reflecting the current reality facing our schools, especially in 
high-need areas.
No new or additional spending is authorized in this bill. 

114th Congress

https://science.house.gov/news/press-releases/bipartisan-stem-education-act-clears-house-and-senate